Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Crossroads

Re-enrolment and subject selection for 2007 has opened, and along with it, finally bringing to front a decision I've been contemplating the whole year. This is the period when course transfer applications are also open... I was chatting with Jamie the other night and telling her that it seems that the whole headache of applying to universities, choosing the 'right' courses (will it ever be right?) doesn't end once you actually enter uni and start a new chapter of your life. (Well, at least for me... lucky for those who are confident and sure of what they want.)

I'm still pretty much confused over my future. I'm doing Music (though it's doubled with an Arts degree), and I'm enjoying it. So what's the problem? I don't know. My application for a transfer to Music/Law may very well be rejected, and once I apply, there will be the agony of waiting till next year before I finally receive an answer. But is it what I want? I don't know if I'll enjoy Law. I don't mind it, but at the moment, I'll just see where things go from here. I don't really hold high hopes of a successful transfer. If that doesn't go through, I guess I'll stick with my current double degree... or I might just want to drop Arts and go with a straight Music degree. (There you go, another 'dilemma'.)

I am doing what I want right now - and sometimes, I really can't imagine myself doing another course, like, a random Science degree or even Medicine. I can probably cope with it, but I doubt I'll enjoy learning about it. All those years of studying the sciences and math, and I still turn to Arts and Humanities even after coming out of a pure science stream. It's just the stereotypical Asian mentality that the sciences are always better than arts. Well, that's pure rubbish.


Anyway, I love this website - it has the cutest games, with the cutest animation and pictures, with lovely background music. I particular like one of the links, which is titled "Rain" at the bottom - just a simple flash of rain falling to the ground, with soothing, almost melancholic music accompanying it.

Apparently, Victoria is experiencing a dry spell now, and the news is all about water restrictions, etc. etc. (I think a few other states are experiencing this drought as well.) Come to think about it, it hasn't rain for quite some time now. I kind of miss the rain that we get back home. On those days, it's lovely to just stay at home and listen to nice music, read a book, drink something warm and simply relax.

Home... I'm Malaysian, but I know almost nothing about Malaysia. Honestly, I don't really feel much 'loss' for not knowing my own motherland. In retrospect, Brunei is actually a beautiful place to live in, for all the complaints that we used to have about its lack of [insert your choice of want/desire]. We've had it easy, and thinking about it, we really do lead very privileged lives in Brunei. What it lacks in, it makes up for in the little things I've come to appreciate.

I think I might want to settle in Brunei in the later future after doing all the things I want to do.

Anyway, life goes on.

No comments: