Friday, August 11, 2006

A Rabbit's Life III

It's routine, as usual.

Just sitting here at the table, in front of my laptop, typing this now, looking forward to the weekend, and hoping to get some work done over the weekend as well.

I've been idling my time away here, when the faint, familiar, and undeniably recognizable sounds coaxed gently and skilfully from strings, floated from somewhere outside my room, reaching my ears. At first, I thought, Nah, it can't be. But the almost haunting melody persisted. I could almost see the graceful bowings, the fingers stretching and nimble, pressing on the appropriate places on the fingerboard. I muted the random music playing from Winamp and went to my window and strained to listen for that almost fairy-like music, which hid itself among the other sounds of the city night and apartment life.

Someone is playing the violin, somewhere in the rooms above my floor.

For a moment, I reflected on the past gone by, when I took up the violin for about a year, before I gave up, mainly out of laziness. I admit, I didn't invest as much time as I should have. I did not put in much effort into practicing regularly. For me, it was just ... cool to take up a new instrument, and knowing the basics was good enough for me.

But for that moment, I almost wish I hadn't stopped. I kind of miss playing it sometimes. And I would love to take it up again sometime in the future.

And for a moment, I try to grasp the wisps of music coming into my room. I can almost envision myself living in 17th century Venice, experiencing Music as we move from the Renaissance to the Baroque period..

(The last sentence is kind of related to what I'm studying now in Baroque & Classical Music. Lol. Oops. Maybe a sign that I need to get my head out of the books and relax over the weekend. =P)

1 comment:

Slim and Deadly said...

OOOOOOooooOOOOhh! Violins!! I LOVE VIOLINS!

But not so much one. But when there are 4 working in union I think they are perhaps the most awesome instrument of all them all ... or at least one of the best :P LOL