Sunday, August 13, 2006

Rumination


It's been a year since Jerry and I started Opposite Corners of the World. Not that it's a big deal. Hopefully (?) more years to come (?), especially in the wake of recent blog-closings and decisions to close blogs. (It doesn't sound that bad, really.) Seeing that Jerry has gone MIA - again - this blog has literally become my blog instead of our blog. But anyway, for the sake of the interested people (if there is even anyone left who still reads this blog), we officially entered the blogsphere on the 4th of August, 2005.

It's too early for countdowns, but for lack of better subjects to post about, it is approximately less than five months before I find myself back in the hot and humid 'Land of Unexpected Treasures'. Ong Chi told me that apparently last week, The Age, one of Australia's national newspapers, featured an article on Brunei in their Saturday edition! I didn't catch it, but yeah, they were highlighting all the main attractions in Brunei, and it seems that there is another Brunei tourism promotion thing in 2008? Hm.



This is a capture from a video taken at my house, late November back in 2004. I can't remember who took the video. It was just the kittens playing with their mom's tail. (Yes, I can't believe I still have the video - I must have uploaded it to my laptop when I bought it the following year.)

Things have changed since then. The cats are gone. There's only the dog left (despite being very fierce, he's a really good guard dog - and I hope he still recognizes me when I return home (!) or I risk being attacked - seriously).

The pool is gone as well. When I left in late February this year, the workers were already chipping away at the edge of the pool. The wooden ledge thing at the side had already been taken away. I don't know how that area of my home looks like anymore; probably been a few months now, but I didn't ask my sister about it till last week, although I had been meaning to find out about it months ago. Apparently, it's just a garden now, often visited by birds. My sister used to throw barley seeds, but she stopped, and she said that the maid (a new one whom I have not even met yet) continued throwing rice for them after that. Probably lucky we don't have cats now! They used to love catching birds... I've seen a few of the unlucky victims, and it's not a pleasant sight!

There were a few reasons why my dad decided to demolish the pool, among which included the fact that it was under-used. When my family first moved into this house in 2000, my siblings, especially my sister, used to swim and play in it everyday. There were a few pool parties (usually mine, my brother's or my sister's), the most memorable being my sixteenth birthday. Where it was once a novelty, it just became part of the house after awhile.. I feel almost sad, really.

Probably may come as a surprise to most of you... I don't think I mentioned it at all before I left. There'll be no more pool parties again. My house is just like any other house now. Hahaha.

On other matters, I don't know what to expect when I return to Brunei in December.

But this is where my ruminations for the day end.

No comments: