Thursday, July 13, 2006

Well, after all that's said and done, I quote from the NYTimes World Cup blog...

"Who would have predicted that the whole thing would ultimately boil down to a single conversation conducted on a pitch before a global audience that couldn't hear a word of it?"

It's almost hilarious, really. But I shall not embark on another "Zidane-Materazzi" rant. I think the media and general public have already exhausted that topic beyond reason.

With this World Cup behind us, it's another 4-year wait before we come to South Africa in 2010 for another round of football madness.

* * *

I'm just wondering, am I the only MSN user who has been inundated with all sorts of weird contact requests to be added onto my list? From almost decent-sounding email addresses to weird numerical ones, I usually end up blocking most (with the hope that I'm not blocking anyone I actually know who is legitimately adding me!)

Take anita_wang032@hotmail.com for example. It sounds very normal - except that I do not know a single "Anita Wang". For some reason, I keep thinking of the late Hong Kong diva, Anita Mui... Ehh..?? Lol.

Another "normal" one was josie_mimi23@hotmail.com. Er... I don't think I know any Josies or at least, not a Josie Mimi either. *Blocked!*

Some other weird ones I had were: karenlia0360@hotmail.com (I know a few Karens, but no Karen Lia; on second thought, this one sounds more credible than Josie Mimi), minmin_6547@hotmail.com (Min Min? Minmin?), followed by minmincat0553@hotmail.com (stop adding me already, Minmin!). Then there was a period where I had the "numerical fanatics" wanting to jump into my list of contacts.

dekewu_dink31445@hotmail.com
xueyinabc040196@hotmail.com
pollynii8349@hotmail.com

I find it almost ridiculous. I don't know any of you; and where the heck did you get my email address from?! Or is it just a new type of spam that I'm not told of? *scratches head*

The most recent one which targeted me was xiaoxue_cai810@hotmail.com. Again, as I said earlier, I hope that I'm not blocking people I actually know. I don't know; I have this irrational fear of being hit by viruses and the likes if I add this people onto my contact list! Someone tell me that I'm not being ridiculous. =P

Of course, the one that stood out the most has to be this one: dfjkda223320@hotmail.com

Now,that, definitely sounds like some kind of spam. Otherwise, it's just someone bored who can't think of a better sounding email address.

Anyone else experiencing this "phenomenon"?

3 comments:

kachuaz said...

i'm experiencing spam on my msn.

weirdos trying to add me on msn. alot of chinese characters too.

Slim and Deadly said...

Ahhh the wonders of the internet :)

Incidently if you don't know who's email is trying to add you, use google and add in the mail address, sometimes it is people you know. But if failing to find the person on google and and memeber directories AND they have no information on their contact cards.

THEN delete them and quie rapidly so :)

Several reasons, MSN allows spammers to know you have an active account, so if your mailbox has been cramming full of spam....

And I say to delete them off the list is because... anyone use gaim? There are ways to detect if people have blocked

Anyway enough of my blabbing. I'm off :P

con` said...

sherissa: haha yea, the chinese characters...! down with spam, i say!

samuel: lol. the spam's kind of gone down in recent days.. hm? maybe my post had something to do with it... (haha, wishful thinking on my part =P)