Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Random musings

With less than a week before semester 2 begins, I almost can't believe that half a year has already gone by. I believe that I am speaking for the multitude when I earnestly say that: "Time flies!" Sometimes, Time really just passes you by, and you are left in its wake, trying to pick up where it stunned you, and you run after Time, chasing after it.

The famous phrase, "Time waits for no man and tide" stands true indeed.

Time doesn't wait for anyone at all. Time is constantly pushing on ahead, and never looks back. Time rushes on mercilessly, attacking the nothingness in front of it, creating the Present, leaving the Past locked in its grasp, and giving us a Future of uncertainties... We are compelled to oblige by its rules; we plan our our life according to Time. As we wake up each day, we allocate special parts of the Time of the day to certain activites. It almost seems right to say that we would almost be left floundering helplessly without Time...

In a blink of an eye, suddenly you find yourself standing in a different place. It seems like only yesterday that we were still studying together in the same school. A blink - and that Present dissolves into the Future that is Now. Another blink, and we're scattered all around the world. Yet another blink, and we're already adults, venturing into the working world. And another blink brings us to a Future that is determined by what we do Now.

Doesn't it feel as it Time is moving too fast... ? Too soon... ? Or even too slow...? Amidst it all, things change around us... friends come and go, you meet new people, adjusting to new environments, making important decisions that would impact on our future...

It's funny, whenever someone leaves, we always say, "Keep in touch! Send letters, e-mails, yada-yada-yada..." It's so easy to promise to update each other, but when you sit in front of your laptop/PC and place your fingers on the keyboard, your mind goes blank, no matter how hectic your day was, no matter what happened. Suddenly we're living in different worlds now, and I may be able to share with you "what happened to me today...", but it's hard to relate... And on the other hand, you may feel tinges of homesickness and the occasional lapses of loneliness when you read or hear about what everyone's been up to back home. It's not easy.

Back in SAS, we used to joke that Diya's mom, Mrs. Peter, put a "curse" on us. We had barely begun Form 1 when she told us, "Before you know it, you'll be in Form 3." Sure enough, we found ourselves in Form 3 almost the next day, preparing for PMB... ("Curses, what she said came true!!" was a common utterance in class that year!) and suddenly we found ourselves graduating from SAS.

I guess I'm not really posting about anything special in particular... just reflecting on Life gone by. Orientation has begun for the July intake in uni, and I went to the uni to meet a few friends to discuss some stuff, and it's almost intriguing to see the new students walking around with bags and brochures and random things that are usually given to you during orientation week. I was asked a couple of times if I was a new undergraduate student! But there weren't many people around... maybe there'll be more people in the coming days. The July intake isn't as big as the start of the year, though.

I still have no idea what I'll be doing with my degree...or my future, for that matter. Been thinking about it lately; pondering on transferring degrees, and even dropping one component from my double. Have discussed several times with my mom, but just have to see how things go, I suppose.. My results for semester 1 were not too bad, but I'm not satisfied. (Note to self: must work harder in sem 2!!)

It used to be all about achieving 80s and 90s... but somehow in uni, most people are just glad to even pass. Aiming for H1 (first class honours) seems almost an impossible task, depending on what course you are doing. (Not to say that it is totally impossible.) Sometimes, I almost long to go back to the past, where everything was so much more simpler, with less worries and cares about the future.

Despite the uncertainties, I am enjoying life here and now... except for the cold! I'm dying to see some sunshine and feel some warmth! It's been cloudy almost everyday, and it occasionally drizzles (it doesn't actually "rain" here; more of wispy, light drizzle). It drizzled almost the whole day on Saturday.

Oh yes... Sharon: what love life?? Hahaha. I'm sorry to disappoint you (and my "audience") out there (hehehe), but I have absolutely no love life. =P Check with me in a few years' time, and maybe by then I'll have a story for you. LOL.

Going out later to catch a movie with some friends from my youth fellowship. We're watching Click, starring Adam Sandler. Apparently it's a feel-good family movie (?), and it's a tear-jerker as well... I'll report back and don't be surprise if I told you that I was bawling my eyes out at the end of the movie. Lol!

And of course, a post by Connie is usually incomplete if I don't say this: Jerry, update, update, update!!

=D

No comments: