Monday, July 24, 2006

Reflections

One of the pictures I took of a lake at Rottnest Island, Perth, last year.

I found this particular lake very intriguing, partly because of the unique patterns of the aquatic fauna. If you observe closely (if you can), there are actually sort-of circular patterns in the clear waters. Apparently, the fishes kind of "chomp" a circle (a sloppy circle, I might add!) around the region where their habitat is. So basically, they live within the circle they have created. I don't think I've posted about my trip to Rottnest Island before, but thinking back, I remember sending an e-mail about my cycling trip around Rottnest Island to you guys last year. All words, and no pictures! Lol. I'm not surprised if you have forgotten that e-mail.

Waves crashing against the rocky coastline.

I remembered it was rather windy; the day started out rather fine, but it drizzled towards the end of our cycling trip. It took all my energy to reach back to where we started. An exhausting 3-hour trip cycling around the island, going over and down little hills, on straight paths, winding paths, narrow paths, wide paths, etc. But it was absolutely a great experience. I loved scenery... the huge waves, the beaches... There were a few surfers out in the sea, and the picture above was actually near an area where there were dolphins. It was quite an 'exciting' experience for me (think Connie's 'excited' reaction), as I saw dolphins in the wild for the first time. It was around the time of the year for dolphin-watching, I think, as they are usually seen in that particular area during that period. Migration and all.

Alas, these were the closest pictures I could get of the dolphins I saw. The school of dolphins were quite far out in the distance, and my camera was already 'zoom-ed' to the max. If you look closely enough, you can see the fin and back of the dolphin in the above two pictures.

Anyway, this is a very random post, I know! But anyway, was just looking back on the pictures I took while I was in Perth last year (before my camera died on me towards the end of the year!), and I guess I just really like doing outdoor activities (contrary to the popular perception of the 'like-to-stay-at-home' me!). It'll be good if we could have a trip together somewhere, just anywhere, before all of you are done with A-Levels or whatever, and before we all split up forever/temporarily; either way, it'll definitely be harder to meet up from next year on, since we'll all be parting our separate ways. Right?

It's so silly - we've been talking about going on a backpacking trip since forever. When will we actually put our words and ideas into actions?


Anyway, Jerry's MIA. I don't have a camera with me here (I know I should have brought one), otherwise I could have more recent pictures to show you guys. And at least liven up this slowly-dying blog, which has lately consist of nothing but lines and lines of text.

Uni starts again tomorrow, and it's back to routine for me! (As routine as it can get, anyway!)

It's been raining frequently lately; 'typical Melbourne winter', I was told. It's been much colder in recent weeks, but I think I'm getting used to it! I seriously miss the sun and the warm weather, though!!

Anyway, all the best to you all who are preparing for your mocks!

3 comments:

Slim and Deadly said...

Incidently there were also Dolphins at the Easter Camp too, was on the beach with peeps when we spotted them.

But gosh darn they're there and gone in a flash, so I didn't have enough time to whip out Cammy :)

tH3^oNe said...

it's back to school for me too! :(

con` said...

samuel: It is tough to try to snap pictures of dolphins out in the wild! They just won't stay "still", y'know? Lol. But still, it's beautiful just watching them play in the ocean.

DJ: Haha, I totally relate to you! Although, I confess, I don't dread starting uni so much... Quite looking forward to the new subjects I'm doing this sem! (Call me crazy =P) But anyway, all the best for your second sem and take care!