Thursday, June 08, 2006

Lalala

Just one more exam to go - and that's my practical tomorrow afternoon.

(Repeatedly chants to self, "I shall not stress, I shall not stress, I shall not stress!")

Funny, isn't it? You'd think that after YEARS of sitting for exams or going through it, we'd be "used" to it by now. And yet we still feel stressed/anxious/nervous before AND after an exam. We stress and worry over the questions that would come out, and we fret over the results that would be released after.

Too bad we can't "immunise" ourselves against exams.

Personally, I think practicals are more nerve-wrecking than written papers. Simply because practicals are ... practicals. I don't know, is it to do with preparation? With written or theory papers, you can study and memorize, and at least feel a bit confident if you've done your preparation well, but with practicals (for music, especially), you can practice for hours, days, weeks, months beforehand, and when it comes to the real thing, you sit at the piano, and you can just break from all the stress and pressure emanating from the atmosphere (and the examiner's stern/friendly look). Once you place your fingers on the keyboard and play, you may panic halfway through and slip up a few notes, or even just forget what you're doing entirely halfway through and stop (it happens!) - you know, those sudden moments of brain blocks, where you suddenly forget what's the next note, and that's it.

Anyway... the exam tomorrow would constitute 50% (if I recall correctly) of this subject, so it's not that bad. Still, I hate having to face the nervousness and anxiety. And with the cold weather, it doesn't help to have almost-stiff frozen fingers. Anyway, all I can do now is commit it all into God's hands and trust that He'll be with me throughout the ordeal. =)

I can't believe you're back in Brunei, Jerry!!! Argh. How long is your holiday for? I probably won't see you in YEARS (you're not coming back in December, are you?) since our holidays don't really correspond. (That, and the fact that, yes, my mom wouldn't let me go back these holidays. =P Laugh if you must. >=/)


(Continues chanting "I won't stress" mantra...)

No comments: