Saturday, June 10, 2006

WORLD CUP 2006 GERMANY!!!

GERMANY 4 2 COSTA RICA

Oh my gosh!!! Did you guys catch the last goal by Frings?? That was a spectacular goal!!! Straight kick from quite a distance, past the heads of the Costa Rica players, flew right over the hand of the Costa Rican goalkeeper, straight into the net!! Two goals by Klose (and it's his birthday, apparently!) , and the first goal by Lahm. (Not that I actually know these players - but I do recognize Klose.)


Just came back from Adrill's place (a fellow brother in OCF - Overseas Christian Fellowship). A bunch of us gathered at his place to catch the first match of the World Cup, and I left feeling much more enlightened on the technicalities of soccer. Lol.

I was watching soccer with these soccer fans, who really knew their stuff. I learnt that Costa Rica isn't a very good team to start with (no offense to Costa Rica supporters), and the fact that they managed to get 2 goals was due to bad defense on Germany's part. But anyhow, it was fun - I was, a-hem, quite enthusiastic, at the fast-paced moments.

I'm not technically a soccer buff - you can call me (and a few other people who were present as well) those soccer fans who only exist during the World Cup fever. LOL. (Yes, I can feel the cynical scorns of the real fans now.)

Having said that, I discovered that I am still as gullible as ever as I was tricked, not once, but twice. (Deceived is more like it -_-" )

I was just wondering about Oliver Kahn's absence as Lehmann was playing as goalkeeper instead (for Germany), so I asked it out loud. I was first told about some match between Bayern Munich and Manchester United some time back (I think; when you're a super-gullible person, some things just fly over your head), and apparently Man U won, and Oliver Kahn withdrew into depression, and that's why he's not playing in the World Cup, and for the same reason, the captain of the German team is now Michael Ballack.

"Really?? He was depressed so he retired??"

...

Okay, okay, so that's a really lame story, and I can't believe I believed it.

So then I was told that he had simply retired lah, I mean, he is getting old after all.

Halfway through the match, the cameras panned to the sidelines, and I saw Oliver Kahn sitting on the bench, looking as relaxed as his stony face can allow.

"Hey, isn't that Oliver Kahn?? You told me he retired!!"

NOOOOO, I can't believe I am tricked again.

But my friend insisted that he really thought that Kahn had retired, and then he speculated that perhaps he'll be playing when Germany enters the knockout phase. There was some soccer technical talk from a few other people at this point, and they lost me.


Anyhoooo~

That was quite good, albeit rather slow at certain times. I still think the last goal by Frings was spectacular, and it's a good start to the World Cup - I mean, come on, a total of 6 goals!! I found out that it's usually common to have only one or even nil goals in the first match (that was how it was for the past few years, I think?)

Tomorrow: England against Paraguay!! There's supposed to be another match as well, after Germany and Costa Rica, and that's between Poland and Ecuador (but I'm told that they're quite 'rubbish' teams this year - again, no offense to Poland or Ecuador supporters, although I did find out that Poland was quite decent in the 1980s, reaching 4th place at one of the World Cups).

Anyhow, I'll definitely be catching the "big" games. And right now I need to sleep. It's almost 5 a.m. and I'll probably get up late again tomorrow. Haha. I think my sleeping patterns will be totally disrupted due to World Cup now (seeing that most matches are late at night).

World Cup!!!!

4 comments:

Slim and Deadly said...

haha, if you're able to stay up at someones place at 1:30 to watch people play ya gotta be pretty dedicated to the sport LOL

It sorta reminds me of that rexona ad, the one that says "prepare to hug strangers" LOL

tH3^oNe said...

omg!
ur so lucky.

im stil having exams! =(

kachuaz said...

the England match was a bore..

yawnzz...

no Scholesy = no form England :D

con` said...

samuel: LOL, well, as i said, i'm only a soccer fanatic when it's World Cup, but i just might be converted by the end of this one! who knows? ;p

dj: haha, it's just me, actually! most of the ppl i know still have papers all the way till 23rd June (last day of exams for Melbourne Uni). i'm doing Arts/Music, i don't have many papers, since my Arts degree consists of all essays, and my Music degree only had one written paper (plus practical exam). don't worry, you'll be fine! all the best for ur exams! =)

sherissa: ahaha, i actually didn't catch that, but after reading and hearing about it, i certainly didn't miss much! maybe they'll perform better in their next few matches? let's see and wait!!

in the meantime, gooooo, _____ (insert your favourite team). =P