Monday, October 17, 2005

I remembered - sometime last year? - a conversation I had with my seven-year-old twin cousins, while on a trip to Miri.

They're eight this year; I'm ten years older than them. They're both looking more and more identical each time I see them... Most people can't tell them apart at first glance, but to family and close friends, you can tell the difference immediately. One has double eyelids, one doesn't... I think that's quite an obvious difference, but anyway, they're looking more and more alike now. The last time I saw them was in January this year when I went for my driving theory test... =( I miss my cousins.


In the car, on the way to this famous seafood restaurant in Miri (can't remember its name.. some of you might remember which one it is =P). Conversation was originally in Mandarin... well, I was struggling to explain myself in Mandarin to the twins, anyway.. x_x ..


Me: (looking at the twins and thinking aloud) Sharon... Shirley... ni men zhi dao ni men shi 'twins' mah? (Do you know that you are twins?)

(I can't say twins in Mandarin. Rather, I don't know how. XP)

(Stupid question, I know, but don't laugh at me for stating the obvious.. =( they were only 7 then, and probably didn't realize the significance of being twins...)

Shirley: She me shi 'twins'? (What are twins?)

Me: (dumbfounded)

I was at a loss for words. I turned towards my mom helplessly. I think my mom and my aunt explained to both of them, but anyway:

Me: Yeah, well, anyway, you both are very special. (still in Mandarin)

Shirley: What is 'special'?

Me: (at loss for words again. Turn to my mother) Ma, how you say 'special' in Chinese?

(Sorry lah, my Chinese so teruk... -_-")

After I got the word from my mom, I tried again.

Me: Okay, do you know that because you are twins, you are very special?

Sharon: But I don't want to be special...

Shirley: (agreeing with her twin. For some reason, the idea of being special wasn't appealing..)

Me: -_-"

Anyway, kids are cute that way. ^_^ After that, I tried to tell them that not many people have got twins, and that's why they're special. With a bit of help from my aunt and mom, they learnt the meaning of being twins that day.

*smiles proudly*

Eh-seh. Lol. Like I'm some kind of heroine like that. Haha. No lah. But it's interesting to talk to little kids sometimes. =)

I can't wait to see them... and my one-year-old baby cousin, living just next door... Haven't seen her in half a year, and she can already say 'mommy', 'daddy', 'jie jie' in that short time I'm gone... *sobs*

2 comments:

kachuaz said...

shuang bao tai = twins..

and eh..when i getting my pics from ur digicam ah?

thanks~~~~

tH3^oNe said...

i kNow!
sOmEtiMes, kiDs aRe jUst sO cutE!
it mAke mE wAnt tO stOp gRowiNg up! LOL.
kiDs aRe jUst sO cutE. =p