Monday, July 10, 2006

Last (but not final)...

...and I'm referring to the football (soccer) posts I've been quite often posted on this blog, which would have bored most of you out there (if you even read this at all).



Tonight is the night.

Will the Azzuri claim the trophy for the fourth time in their World Cup history? Or will Les Bleus finally revel in the sweet taste of success and triumph when they lift the coveted prize four hours later? (Both teams' colours are, incidentally blue, but France will be in white tonight, as it's an away game for them.)

We shall find out very soon. ;p



Lygon Street is closed again tonight for the match; apparently they're giving out free pizzas tonight, so whoever's watching on Lygon Street tonight is lucky! I, on the other hand, am going to Adryll's (a brother in OCF) place later to watch the final match with a bunch of other brothers and sisters.


I caught the news at around 6 p.m. earlier at Felin's place before we went for the evening service at church, and they were broadcasting live footage from Carlton (the area where I'm staying in actually, where Lygon Street is situated as well). Lygon Street looks amazing. I wished I had a camera with me, so I could have gone down there and taken a few pictures. Almost every restaurant had Italian flags hanging outside, and it's just so ... Italian. (Well, it is Little Italy, but it just looks very festive and more "Italian" than usual. =P)

I must applaud the crowd who will be gathering at Lygon tonight. Today is one of the coldest days I've experienced in Melbourne so far, and it's been absolutely windy. It's freezing everytime I step out into the streets. Even now, I can hear the wind just banging against my window, howling outside.

The noise and revelry is already starting outside. Just a few minutes ago, someone was blowing on horns. I think the TV screen has already been set up; can hear some noise resembling the spectators at a football match. I can hear cars honking occasionally as well. It should get pretty rowdy when 4 a.m. nears later (that's 2 a.m. for you guys back home). I'm expecting at least a few brawls too, if Italy loses to France. Or vice versa. Hm. In which case, I should be glad I'm not at Lygon tonight! (Or should I not be glad? Hehe.)

I hear... singing now. Eh?


It's somehow different. The whole atmosphere here. Australia may not be a soccer nation (can't say footballing - it'll mean Aussie rules or rugby to them!), but with the Socceroos' appearance this time round, it's certainly raised the profile of soccer in Australia. Yesterday, while shopping with Ruth and Amabelle at Smith Street, there were restaurants putting up signs saying that they're open at 4 a.m., and what the menu would be. Most of them seem to be on Italy's side.

On the topic of atmosphere... not that back home, it's bad or what, but I guess, you just feel it here. It's in the air. The excitement and tension. Suddenly football fever takes on a different dimension. I don't remember being this hyped up back in 2002 (Korea/Japan).

Speaking of home, I've been at the helm, battling the throes of homesickness pretty well, I think. It's easier this time round than when I was back in Perth. Guess I've adjusted. I hope.


Russell Peters was in Melbourne the past two days for a comedy show. It's part of his world tour, I think. I heard that he was coming to Melbourne back in May, but I don't bother... I expect that the tickets must have been pretty expensive, but apparently he'll be back in December (I will be back in Brunei by then).

Some events can just fly past you, if you don't keep an eye out for them. I don't think there was much promo for the Russell Peters showThere's so many things going on around Melbourne. But I'm, incredibly, starting to feel bored, and almost can't wait for semester two to start.

I'm off now! Will probably post up a post-match update when I come back.

=D

VIVA LA FRANCE!!! ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!

2 comments:

kachuaz said...

OMG!

Russell Peters!

i wonder if he will ever come down to SG for a stopover.

i doubt it seriously.

He is too "radical" for the "Gahmen" likings.

kachuaz said...

btw,

Italiano POWER Tonight!!!