Thursday, June 15, 2006

Kaki bola

I pulled an all-nighter with a few friends from OCF at Lee's place.

Three soccer matches in a row.

No more... this is the last time I'm ever doing this... *groan*... It's overkill, I tell you! There was an hour's break between each match, and we tried to squeeze in a little nap time. Not that I can sleep anyway. Lol. Sleep an hour, get up, watch, sleep an hour, get up, watch... I think we've just joined the legion of crazy soccer fans around the world. It's truly a soccer lifestyle now.

S. Korea 2 - Togo 1: Great match (or second half - I only caught the second half, lol!) S. Korea fought back from 0-1 to 2-1 to win the game at full time. Ahn Jung Hwan, the hero of the 2002 Japan-Korea World Cup, scored the winning goal.

France 0 - Switzerland 0: First half was exciting and fast-paced, but the game just dwindled into frustration and disappointment as neither side managed to score a goal at full time. And oh my gosh - what is wrong with that block-headed referee??? He must really, really like giving out yellow cards - Zidane got a yellow card from him for not waiting for his whistle before he took the free kick. (There were countless of undeserved yellow cards as well.) I was like, Whaaaat??! Kick out the referee already!! He's probably a huge factor in why the game's atmosphere was just ruined. You can obviously see the players' (from both sides) frustration at this nincompoop.

Brazil 1 - Croatia 0: If I thought the previous match was fast, this match seemed like you were watching it at a fast-forward speed! Very, very quick and overall, a very good match. Brazil, for all its "invincibility", was matched almost equal-for-equal by the Croatian team. Kaka scored the winning goal, and there were many great shots from both sides. That said, I have to mention the Croatian fans sitting in the stadium, who were simply cheering on their team and still full of enthusiasm and energy even till full-time (and after!). Towards the end, the match was even disrupted by a Croatian fan running onto the pitch... (Okay, maybe that's too much lah.) Haha, first time I catch this live on TV.

The match ended with a lot of handshakes all around. Great sportsmanship. Excellent game!!



The Australian fans have to learn from those Croatian fans. I didn't comment on this, but now that I'm on this topic, watching yesterday's match, did any of you catch how dejected and subdued the Australian fans towards the end of the match? I've never seen such a 'give-up' attitude. Come on, where's your spirit?! Don't tell me you flew all the way to Germany just to sit and watch. Cheer on your team! A little encouragement goes a long way. Only when Cahill scored the first Australian goal in the last 8 minutes of the game, then the Australian fans were 'awakened'. Oh, for crying out loud.

No offense to all Australian fans, but I can't imagine when the Australia-Brazil match rolls around. They better show more spirit, even till the end. I'm not really supporting Australia, but it'll be nice to see them put up a good fight, and not just go down. Anyone hopeful for an upset?


I'm truly turning nocturnal... this is really a makan bola, tidur bola lifestyle now.

But no more crazy all-nighters!

1 comment:

kachuaz said...

lucky i didnt bother to watch the matches.

must have been terribly boring.

cheers to more makan-bola-tidur-bola

lol~~