Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Ern and I were just chatting online just now, and from talking about our "new" glasses, the conversation somehow veered to English lessons with Mrs. Manik. We both agreed that our spelling and vocabulary have gotten worse after graduating from SAS. I remember one particular lesson, where we had to "fill in the blanks" with whatever. Anyway, one statement went:

"Let us be _____, Frank."

Or something like that, anyway. Ern and I were sitting beside each other, as usual. Mrs. Manik was making her rounds around the class. So Ern and I were figuring out what to put in that blank, and Ern suggested...

"Let us be frank, Frank."

Okay, that's like so retarded, I know! Anyway, we proposed it to Mrs. Manik.

Needless to say, she was not... very amused. But Ern and I really think that we did "tickle" her, it's just that she didn't want to give us the satisfaction of knowing that we succeeded in making her smile or laugh. Ern said that if she wasn't in one of her PMS-y days, she would have laughed.

Thinking about it, most of our female teachers were always going through those PMS moods - (suddenly I'm struck with the thought that a teacher might just stumble upon this blog. Scary!! Lol). Okay, maybe I shouldn't name names, but a certain teacher who dealt in the field of figures and graphs was always PMS-ing. But she was still fun! When she's not in her moods lah.

Anyway, the conversation led to the English compositions we used to write in class... one incident stands out in mind.

One of the topics we had on that particular Compo day was to make a story from the sentence "...and all that was left were footprints in the sand."

We all did our compos, handed in, and it was marked and returned. Anyway, Zakhir had always been notoriously protective of his compositions, and for that particular composition, Mrs. Manik made a really interesting remark, I think, so that got all of us curious. During recess time, we managed to "steal" his exercise book.

Oh man... it was the funniest composition we've ever read.

It was also the composition which made the least sense. I mean, there was no head or tail to it!

I can't really remember (someone correct me if they remember!) I think the essence of his composition was basically about this necklace with a curse on it... and there were a few paragraphs of this long-winded fantasy plot involving the necklace. And later on, for some reason, this girl found the cursed on the beach. She put it on, and -

She exploded.

Or was it the necklace which exploded?

But it was just hilarious!! She exploded, and "all that were left were footprints in the sand."

We have never laughed so hard before. I mean, it just didn't make sense at all!!

But to quote what Ern said: The funniest part was that Zakhir was convinced he deserved a high mark for it.

Jonathan Kok's compos were always revolving around the same theme: romance, and he always, ALWAYS kills off his main character at the end, usually by suicide. It led to Mrs. Manik labelling him as a romantic person, or something. Haha. I guess we all had our characteristics in our compositions.

Mr. AJ's Physics classes were funny as well... Ern lah! Always get me into trouble =P I remember one incident where we were sitting together (again), and we were doing absolutely nothing, but Mr. AJ gave us this really mean glare. Scaaary, okay! I didn't know what I did - maybe Ern did something. Lol. The "silence, class" and the "bang-bang-bang" with the palm of his hand on whatever surface he can find.

But I think Ern and I kind of created a "name" for ourselves, especially in Mr. AJ's classes. I remembered when Ms. Mary told Ern and I that Mrs. Manik (or some other teacher) thought we were a couple or something? That was in Form 3 or something? Lol.

But Ern and I do go quite a long way back... I remember we used to wait for each other everyday in Primary 4, and walk together to the bench to wait for our cars. Even when we were "split up" in Form 1, he always came to bother us in Form 1B. Lol. Yeah, Ern, I know you're drawn to me. =P But we were reunited in Form 4! Haha.

Okay, I should end this before I sound any more mushier. But anyway, bottom line is... I miss everyone back in Brunei! And the dream I had last night doesn't make it any better either. And to answer Ern's comment - no, it's not real! It's just a dream!! Just a dream.

But all that aside, I don't feel as homesick as I did last year (which was the whole year round, actually). I'm enjoying Melbourne, and already settling into life here... But I still can't wait to move out of this stupid apartment next year, and find my own place!! I need to find someone to share with, as well, and then I can rent my own piano from the Music Faculty instead of walking down to the practice rooms everyday.

It's ANZAC Day tomorrow, and it's a university holiday, so no school again! The classes I'll be missing tomorrow are replaced on Wednesday, though. Which is supposed to be my free day, but never mind!

Anyway, must go to sleep now... btw.. I want to see more pictures from Jerry. =P I've got no camera with me, so you can't exactly force me to put up pictures.


"So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodnight!"

2 comments:

tH3^oNe said...

LOL!
the explosion story?
hilarious. =)

kachuaz said...

connie~~!

i started driving lessons liao.

how's sch? jia you~~