Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Love it or hate it =P

Chiew Hui accompanied me on my piano practicing today, and something that came up was the topic of parents sending (read: forcing) their kids to learn piano or some other musical instrument.

Interestingly enough, my mom never forced me to take. I remember asking her before something about why she sent me for piano lessons (or something along those lines - basically, how did I get started learning the piano, anyway).

"You yourself asked for it," was the answer she gave me.

I remember staring at my mom, dumbfounded. I asked for it? Do all 4 or 5-year-olds ask stupid questions?

My mom started piano lessons while she was pregnant with me, and after she gave birth to me, she continued, until my second brother was born, and then she stopped. Apparently I must have been intrigued by the funny sounds coming from the bulky black box when you press the rectangular black and white blocks on it. I pestered my mom about wanting to learn it, and so at the age of 5, I was promptly sent off for piano lessons.

Because I wanted it.

-_-"

I can't even remember! But then, who remembers things clearly enough at that age? Probably a blur of vague memories.

But I do remember practicing hard everyday in my entire primary years (1 to 6). There was one moment I remember quite clearly; I think I was only in Primary 2 or 3 (because I remember it was in the morning that I went for a piano lesson). I was actually going through all the pieces one more time before I left the house, and I remember discovering one extra piece which I had completely forgotten to practice. I remember panicking and telling my mom, and asking her to wait. I promptly practiced the song on the piano 10 times in a row.

(Not making that up.)

I wish I'm that motivated now.

When I reached Form 1, I kind of lost my enthuasism and motivation; I was supposed to sit for my Grade 6 practical exam that year, but I absolutely hatedthe piano, I loathed practicing everyday. In the end, I had to be constantly nagged by my mother, and in the way, the exam itself kind of 'woke' me up. I almost failed it, passing by just a few marks. It was a major shock to me; I kind of regained back that enthuasiasm.

The 'I-hate-piano' phase was really bad; bad enough that I even asked my mom to let me quit. But she refused. I guess I'm really grateful now. But I believe everyone has to go through that kind of phase sometime. After all, my life was constantly revolving around the piano, and in a way, "familiarity bred contempt".

It's turned into one of those "love it or hate it" relationships. No matter what I choose, I can't leave it without feeling lots of regret and misery (like I did at the beginning of the semester, but thank God that I made the transfer to Arts/Music). And even if I do go through moments of "I hate piano!", I can't leave it anymore.

Okay, this post is sounding weird now. I shall stop. =P



On a lighter note:

I was with Ong Chi and her friend and walking to the Economics & Commerce building, when suddenly a pink figure materialized in front of us.

Being blur, as always, I kind of "saw through" the pink aura. Actually, to tell you the truth, I didn't notice anyone or anything at all!! I was just intent on getting to my destination.

Suddenly,

"Chiew Hui?!"

I blinked my eyes, and suddenly she was in front of me, materializing out of nowhere.

(Man, I hope I don't walk around looking that blur.)

But apparently I wasn't the only blur one: Ong Chi told me later that in her mind she was thinking, "Who is this pink freak staring at us?"

No offense, Chewy!!! I seriously didn't notice you!! Hehe. Hontoni gomen-nasai!

But part of the shock is just that, the uni is so big, and everyone's timetable is so different, that you're even lucky to meet up once or twice a day during the course of your day. And when you're rushing to go to your next class, you tend to just ignore everything around you.

Well, at least I do that. =p

Ciao!

3 comments:

tH3^oNe said...

i know wat u mean!
UWA is pretty big as well..
although Uni of Melb is much larger.
but still, it takes time to get around the uni!
sometimes, it takes me 10 mins to get from one class to another!!
and yeh, u gotta be pretty lucky to see ur friends often in a situation like this.

but thankfully, someone invented the mobile phone.
haha. people wld call me [or vice-versa] and if we are free, we meet up. heh.


dj x0x0x

con` said...

whaat..? you were wearing ORANGE??! are you sure?? weren't you wearing PINK?? i may be blur, but how i can i confuse PINK and ORANGE??

you're teasing me again, aren't you??

Anonymous said...

hahahahahh !!!!!!!!!!! ok .... right i can just imagine ongchi going "who is this pink freak looking at us!?"\hahahahahhahahahahaha simply hilarious ! hahah well ... at least the way it sounds in my head ... ahhah and me and ongchi kinda say things in the same kinda way ... ABIT LAH RITE ! so i havea good idea on how she was htinking it :P hahahah

- ERN -