Thursday, March 23, 2006

Live ... from One Corner of the World

I thought I better quickly type up a post before I continue on with my music assignment - and, this time, I shall not apologize anymore for lack of updates, not updating often, or whatever. Thanks to Tiong, who pointed out that almost all the beginnings of my posts start with a "sorry" or some kind of apology.

Therefore I shall not apologize anymore =P. It's my blog after all! Oops, I'm sorry; I meant, the blog which I'm supposedly sharing with a certain 18-year-old who is currently in the States. Yeah, remember him? A lanky, skinny guy whom I have not seen in over a year.

Me: The blog is called OPPOSITE CORNERS OF THE WORLD.
J: Don't wanna blog till something fun happens...if I do, I'll be wasting people's time.
Me: It's not ONE CORNER OF THE WORLD.
J: HAHAHAHAHA
J: Good one.

You dare laugh?? >=/ *glares at Jerry from her corner of the world*

To sum it up, it's like, all communications have been cut off from the other corner of the world, and the data is flowing (though not smoothly!) from only one corner of the world.

This blog might as well be renamed: Silence from All Corners of the World.

Anyway!

I totally forgot to mention! Commonwealth Games are currently going on in Melbourne. It's been one week already. I don't know if there's any news about it back in Brunei, but the newspapers and media here is so pro-Australian, it gets a bit tiring to see all the glory and credit focused on the Australian winners. The other countries who do win get little publicity. Shows how biased the media can be. Anyway, apparently Brunei is in lawn bowling and some other weird events? Lol. Not that I know.

I was actually out on the opening night of the Games, and for the first few days, the newspapers often showed pictures of the Queen and other royal and distinguished dignitaries. But opening night! Not that I actually went, but I happened to went out with Chiew Hui and her friends, and then, and then....


There were fireworks!!!


Hahaha!! I was so sakai. I think Chiew Hui was probably embarrassed by me. But it was really really beautiful, okay!! It went on for about 5 minutes, and a lot of people were on the streets in the city, so there were quite a few crowds at the various spots where you could see the fireworks clearest.

Last Sunday, there was also a marathon, but I didn't get to actually see it. The roads outside my building were blocked, but I attended church in the morning, and probably missed it altogether. By the time I walked back home, the roads were cleared already.

For all the hype over the Commonwealth Games, I actually don't see much action, apart from that first night, and the various officials and volunteers dressed in blue or wearing name tags, that you see every now and then. It still feels pretty normal, save for the increased security on the first night. Police cars patrolling the roads every few minutes, and security guards walking up and down the streets.

Well, uni life, as I said, is hectic, but it probably depends on what course you are doing. My timetable, at first glance, is actually quite relaxing, but if you calculate the number of hours you have to spend on practice and homework and self-study, it pretty much eats up all the spare time you have. In lectures, you just sit there and listen to the lecturers drone on and on, but most of the time, you have to study by yourself. No more spoon-feeding, you have to print out all your lecture notes yourself, you have to go online like, everyday.

I swear, if you do not have Internet access, you can just DIE and FAIL all your subjects. Everything is online, and one of my music units, Music Techniques, has its whole textbook on its website, so I'm basically dead if I can't access it. I think for other courses, the teachers sometime assign online tests as well.

Makes you wonder how students in the 70s, 80s, early 90s actually survived. I mean, most of the material went from books and paper to electronic media just like that.

Okay, got to stop here now. I've got a really busy morning tomorrow. I have 2 assignments dued by 9.30 a.m., a Music Techniques lecture at 10 a.m., a Concert Class at 11 a.m., a two-hour lecture of Media, Politics & Society at 12 p.m., all the way till 2 p.m. No break!! =(

I can already hear my stomach complaining. "Be patient and quiet, O dearest Stomach!"

Right, that's for your reading pleasure today, ladies & gentlemen! Will update again soon!

1 comment:

tH3^oNe said...

LOL!

im glad u have not lose ur [corny] sense of humour! hehe.

ttyl!


dj x0x0x