Friday, September 23, 2005

Thanks, Jerry, for your prayer.

The competition was alright; I never realized that I was in the Recital category, ages 18 to under 26.

Yes, you read that right. Therefore, I was literally the youngest person there (being 18 and 2 months+ years old =S). I was against people who were "older, wiser and better" than I am. (Lit students with Mrs. Manik of 2004: remember this quote? Lol.)

Needless to say, I didn't win anything. I didn't expect to; I was there merely for the experience and exposure. Haha, what's more, at my age, I was doing my first competition, when these people have been doing competitions their entire musical life. It was really obvious, especially with the blonde guy who won first prize. And wow, was he amazing. Confidence simply emanated from him as he played with such exuberance, energy and skill. I was blown away. I really enjoyed his performance… Oh, I wish I could describe it. But even words fail me here. You just had to be there to fully appreciate it. (Meanwhile I lament the small size of my hands.) Or you can just think of all the synonyms of amazing, great, wonderful, masterful, etc. Yeah, you get my idea. Lol.

I made a couple of mistakes, stumbled on the unfamiliar keys of the foreign grand piano, panicked at certain stages, and basically didn't feel like I was there at all. When it was over, I slowly slipped back into reality and it felt like mere seconds that I was up there performing.

Surreal.

The adjudicator was from University of Melbourne, and gave comments at the end of the recitals. I must add here, besides piano, there were flute, violin, as well as voice. Soprano lady got the second prize. She has an amazing voice too. The flute girl was high commended for her performance, which I thought was very good indeed. But in the end, it was clear that these people are confident and they know what they're doing. They know their stuff, to put it in a nutshell. I have no doubt that they must have won or at least competed at other competitions too. To them, this is nothing but just another one in the long line of competitions to come.

I got rather positive comments (and what is with examiners with barely legible writing?? Darn it, doctors, as well. It must be some sort of conspiracy so that we can never be able to read properly what they’re saying. >=) It was quite encouraging. I reproduce his comments on my second piece (well, try to anyway):

“Sculthorpe These were evocatively played with pleasing
attention + all detail – tempo, rhythm, pedaling, dynamic
Impression work hard!”

Took me some time to actually make that out. (I think that’s what Mr. Glenn Riddle is trying to say, anyway X_X) Sculthorpe is the name of the composer, by the way. And I don’t really get Mr. Riddle’s last few words. Anyhoo~ he did thought that my first piece (Bach’s Prelude and Fugue XII) needed a faster tempo for the Prelude as it was rather slow (I agree with him on that, actually).

So you see, I’m learning already! =D In the end, it’s ultimately preparing me for my diploma exam later on in early November.

Anyway, that’s my competition… and sorry if you don’t get the last few bits on comments and musical stuff, you don’t have to understand. And sorry if I sound like I’m blowing my own trumpet or anything, just telling it as it is… (Hides red face behind her hands.)

A-hem. Moving on..!

The more I read about Indiana University's School of Music, the more I hope to be admitted. Their School of Music is ranked among the top in the States. But their requirements obviously indicates a dedicated, passionate and talented student. Do I have that? I want to believe I do. I believe I do. At least I think I do. But is it enough?

Just a few minutes ago, while looking through the information and documents regarding application procedures and music auditions, etc., I was suddenly struck by a strong feeling of conviction that I want to do Music, no matter what. If I don't, I will regret for the rest of my life. I really will.

Thinking back on last night's competition, I realized that there are two ways I can treat it.

One, I can let myself be discouraged and deflated by the size of competition and talent out there. I can give up and believe that 'I can't reach that level, I just don't have that amount of talent and skill.'

Or, two, I can pick myself up, gain experience and learn from this, and strive to improve myself even more and work hard.

Which one will it be?

That's for me to know. And I don't even have to tell, do I?

4 comments:

Jance said...

Heys Con,

U sound like u're doing well. Don't fret n i agree with wat Jerry said so all d best =)

tH3^oNe said...

cOnNiE,
u aRe nOt oNe whO will lEt tHiNgs gO.
i kNoW wHeN u rEaliSe u wAnt sOmEtHiNg, u'll rEally gO all out tO tRy tO aChEivE it.
aS u hAvE sAiD, tHoSe whO hAvE wOn muSt hAvE gOt lOaDs oF expEriEncE tHeRefOre it's a littlE uNfAir fOr cOmpAriSon, yupp?
jUst dO it.
Fed-ex tHe tApE, OK? =X

cheers,
dj

con` said...

hey guys.. thanks for all ur encouragement. i guess i've pretty much confirmed that i want to do music, it's just a matter of applying to the schools and wait. and hope. =D

juice said...

yes con. pls kick jerry's butt for all of us back in brunei. that'd help a whole lot.

Glad all things are planned out for you. =) All tze best con foong.