Friday, September 02, 2005

The Road Not Taken
Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.



I like this poem. I very much doubt that any of you would actually have taken the time to read through it and reflect on its meaning. But it really reflects the crossroads at which most of us are right now, doesn't it?


For me, the first stanza really captures that dilemma of decision making: standing there, confused. Two paths diverge before you, and wanting to go down both, but you can't. And just like the voice in the poem, we look down the path, trying to look far into the future, but like the undergrowth that mars our view so, our future is uncertain and clouded.

But unlike the voice in the poem, we don't know which path we will take yet: Will we take the well-worn path, trodden by so many others before us, or will we take "the one less traveled by"?

Only time can tell... Five or ten years later, where will we be? Will we be satisfied with the path we have taken?


Sorry if this post is too "literary" for some people's tastes... Just feeling a bit reflective tonight.

On a brighter side... there HAS to be a way to reconcile the time differences in our blog, Jerry. X_X I realize that this blog is actually following YOUR time, which is, like, hours behind mine, so I have to change the time and date everytime I post... and that explains why your posts always end up below mine, even if you posted AFTER me.

I know... let's take the Greenwich Meridian time instead =P

3 comments:

tH3^oNe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tH3^oNe said...

i personally think the first stanza described ur situation last year pretty well?
the states or down under.
(although im not too sure abt ur choices then. >.< )
btw, the poem is uncannily familiar! but i just can't remember when i have seen/read it.
oh wells.
don't stress abt what lies ahead. follow ur heart, dreams and passion. i realised these words doesn't help much in this case.. but yupp. do what u think u will enjoy not regret.
talking abt this, i'd better start thinking too. =/
*sigher*
all the best for the essay tmr. ;)

cheers,
dj

Anonymous said...

Hey conz..i felt like i was in some online learning course for poem reading & understanding...hahaha.. jus me... anyways, God bless you conz.. whichever route u take, God's there with ya.. take care